Chapters Books in the Winnona Park library

One of the challenges of purchasing chapter books for our library is the third grade/eight or nine year old age configuration of our students.  This also seems to coincide with the time in a student's reading life when reading becomes more about interest, content and subject matter, rather than strictly ability. In addition to reading reviews, I try to read the majority of books I purchase for the library to be able to confidently recommend books to students and parents.  I also consider the age of the main character.  For example, we no longer have the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books in our collection,  as the characters are primarily in middle school, and the books deal with middle school issues.
I also don't think it is necessary to push students to read certain books just because they can; I would much prefer them to read the books when they are most able to appreciate them even it it means waiting a few years.  A good example of this would be "A Wrinkle in Time." Many of our third graders are capable of reading this book, however, I would say that very few would grasp its intended meaning.

Comments