In the Media Center - Week of October 24th

It was a busy week, as usual in the Media Center.  We started Monday morning with a visitor for kindergarten and this morning, Thursday, we hosted staff from the Center for Puppetry Arts and Georgia State for a workshop.  They worked with Ms. Blackmon's and Ms. Miller's classes to get input as they create a new Pete the Cat puppet show.  This is the second year they have come to our school for this program.  "The One and Only Ivan" continues to be a popular check-out and will be available at our Fall Book Fair next week.  I have started using the wide-screen TV in the front hallway to show pictures taken throughout the week.  Currently, they are only my pictures but I am hoping that teachers will also begin sharing theirs from the classrooms.
Here is what classes did during their regularly scheduled Media Center time:
Kindergarten:  Students finished their house project in KidPix.  After drawing a picture of their house, they added their name and address number.  We printed them on the color printer and they will be added to their "All About Me" books.
First Grade:  Students again used Google Earth but with some target locations.  After I taught them to use the search bar, they were given several locations across five continents to search including their address,  the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Canyon(North America), Eiffel Tower(Europe), Simpson Desert(Australia), and Lake Baikal(Asia).
Second and Third Grade:  As a special treat for the students, they also used KidPix and were asked to draw an illustration of Ivan from either the chapter book, or the picture book that I read to them last week.  They learned that drawing in KidPix is not easy but they were able to produce some good drawings.  I will scan those tomorrow and add them to this page.

Comments