Guess What is Growing Inside this Egg(eBook)


Author/Illustrator: Mia Posada

Publisher/Place of Publication/Date: Millbrook Press;
Minneapolis, MN; 2007

Price: $15.95

ISBN-13: 978-0-8225-8782-8
ISBN-10: 0-8225-8782-3


Dewey: 591.4

Reading Level: ATOS - 4.0

Brief Description of Content: Detailed pictures show the life cycle of of a variety of animals with guessing games, facts, and pictures of eggs with their inhabitants.

Personal Review/
Selection rationale: After hearing a presentation by a Follett representative on their new line of ebooks, I chose one to try. I am thinking that it can be used as a read aloud by a teacher with an ActivBoard. As a matter of fact, I have an ActivBoard in the Media Center that I haven't used. This might be the first picture book I "read" using the ActivBoard. The was interesting and bird eggs are not typically seen by most children but they remain fascinated by them.

Review Sources:

Wilson's Children 01/01/09

School Library Journal 06/01/07

Publishers Weekly 05/14/07

Booklist 04/01/07

Horn Book 10/01/07

Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 05/01/07

Kirkus Review 03/15/07

Library Media Connection 10/01/07


Standards:
S2L1. Students will investigate the life cycles of different living organisms.
a. Determine the sequence of the life cycle of common animals in your area: a mammal such as a cat or dog or classroom pet, a bird such as a chicken, an amphibian such as a frog, and an insect such as a butterfly.
b. Relate seasonal changes to observations of how a tree changes throughout a school year.
c. Investigate the life cycle of a plant by growing a plant from a seed and by recording changes over a period of time.
d. Identify fungi (mushroom) as living organisms.
Georgia Department

Comments

Unknown said…
I'll have to check this one out. My all-time favorite life-cycle book is still Judy Burris' Life Cycle of Butterflies. I enjoy leafing through my copy in the winter months when my backyard butterflies have flown to warmer climes.