My Dadima Wears a Sari

Author/Illustrator: Kashmira Sheth/Yoshiko Jaeggi

Plot Summary: Two young, granddaughters learn about saris from their dadima, or grandmother. They come to understand why she prefers wearing a sari over pants or skirts. She shows them how useful a sari can be, how many different saris she has in her closet and why some of them are extra special to her.

Comments:

Extensions:
1. This would be a great book which which to do a Jackdaw. I would visit the Indian store near my house and get small sample fabrics of sari material, perhaps an inexpensive Indian doll wearing a sari and some samplings of food/snacks from the grocery store. I used to have glass and gold bracelets that an Indian friend gave me; I would bring those if I still have them. I'm sure I would find additional items at the store. I have pictures from a friend's traditional Indian wedding which show beautiful wedding saris.

2. I would find out if we have any Indian families at our school and if so, I would invite a female family member to come speak to the class about saris. I would like her to come either wearing one or to show the children some examples and perhaps let them try them on. I learned early on from an Indian friend that caucasian people do not wear saris. I tried on one of hers which caused her to laugh hysterically and beg me to take it off.

Themes/keywords: saris, grandmothers, East Indian Americans

Age/Reading Level: Interest level K-3; Reading level 3.5; Lexile 600

Standards:
This book and lesson would address the Expeditionary Learning Design Principles of Diversity and Inclusivity

Publisher's Info: Peachtree Publishers, Atlanta, Georgia 2007

ISBN-13: 978-1-56145-392-4
ISBN-10: 1-56145-392-7


Awards/Review Sources:

Wilson's Children 01/01/09

School Library Journal 06/01/07

Booklist 03/01/07

Horn Book 10/01/07

Teacher Librarian 02/01/09

Kirkus Review 02/15/07

Multicultural Review 06/01/08


Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, 2008
The Asian Reporter, V18, #35 (September 2, 2008)

Genre/Dewey: Fiction; Easy/Everybody

Websites:
The author's weblog
Additional reviews and information about the book from the author's weblog

Notes for Booktalk: Another good book about saris is Rao Sandhya's My Mother's Sari (2006)


Vocabulary:
sari, dadima, pallu, India(find on globe)

Comments