In the Media Center - October 15th and the last few weeks

As my position is half-time Media Specialist and half-time Instructional Technology Specialist, I have a lot to teach our students in the half hour I see them each week.  And as their time in the library also includes book check-out, it doesn't leave a lot of time.   I have tried many different ways to alternate instruction on books and library with technology but this year, it seems to be several weeks of activities around literature followed by several weeks of technology.  For the last two weeks, and continuing into this week, kindergarten is finishing a project using KidPix.  They are drawing their home and including their address number.  We have been revising rough drafts and they will print their final product this week which will go in their "All About Me" book.
First, second and third graders were introduced to the keyboard and what I call "Very Important Keys", as well as to the alphabet.  They practiced opening and closing the Microsoft Word application, the Control, backspace, shift, caps lock, and enter/return keys in addition to the letters.  I emphasize proper posture for using the keyboard, as well as using both hands.  I have a line down the middle of the keyboard on the computers in the media center and they are instructed to keep their hands on either side of the line.  The purpose of all of this is to make them more independent when they are using computers in the classroom and at home, as well as setting them up to learn to actually type.  Second and third graders will be using Typing Club this year with personal logins.  This will happen after the Book Fair.  First graders will practice throughout the year using Dance Mat Typing.
For first grade this week, I am going to introduce "Kenny and the Dragon" as I know teachers are either already reading it, or will be reading it. 

Comments