Jackie and the Shadow Snatcher


Author/Illustrator: Larry Di Fiori

Plot Summary: A boy looses his shadow and has to get it back from a bunch of bad guys.

Comments: Large format, detailed sketches and clear, large format text make this a good choice for first and second graders. It is an interesting story without being too scary. According to Follett, it is out of stock indefinitely, however, it can be purchased from individuals on Amazon.

Extensions:
1. For second or third graders, students can use these blank comic sheets to fill in their own dialogue.
http://www.grammarmancomic.com/templates.html

2. During a unit on the phases of the moon, this book can be read to support a discuss of shadows. Students will learn to explain why one's shadow could never be stolen. It might disappear but it can't be taken.

Themes/keywords: shadows, lost and found possessions, mystery and detective stories, cartoons and comics, mystery comic books, strips, etc., graphic novels.

Age/Reading Level: K-3; ATOS - 1.9: Follett - 2.3

Standards:
ELA2R4 The student uses a variety of strategies to gain meaning from grade-level text.
ELA1R6 The student uses a variety of strategies to understand and gain meaning from grade-level text.

Publisher's Info: Alfred A. Knopf, New York. 2006

ISBN-13: 978-0-375-97515-8
ISBN-10: 0-375-97515-2


Awards/Review Sources:

Wilson's Children 10/01/06

Booklist 04/15/06

Kirkus Review 05/15/06


Genre/Dewey: 741.5

Websites:
I couldn't find a lot of detailed information about this book or its author. I found a number of website by individuals with favorable reviews. I did discover the he has illustrated over 60 books plus done some illustrations for Sesame Street.

Notes for Booktalk: Share the poem, "My Shadow" by Robert Lewis Stevenson - http://www.bartleby.com/188/119.html. I know about this poem because I had to memorize it in elementary school.

Vocabulary:

Comments

Unknown said…
Note to self the next time you see Ilene... ask her to recite "My Shadow..." My claim to fame from elementary is being able to sing "The Old Gray Mare" in Latin. I'm discovering many of these graphic novels are going out of print after a year or two. That could be a comment on their literary merit or simply that hundreds are rolling off the presses daily.