Hate that Cat/Love that Dog


Author: Sharon Creech

Plot Summary: A semi-autobiographical account of a boy's journey as he learns to read, write and appreciate poetry.

Comments: These books are a wonderful way to connect children with poetry. They are also very versatile. We used them in class for a Book Club, however, they could also be used as a read aloud to younger children for the impact of the story, or as a supplement to teaching poetry to upper elementary or even middle school students. Although they were published separately, they are very much connected.

Extensions:
There are many extension ideas for this book available on line including:
1. Some ideas can be found here.
2. Great ideas from eMINTS from the University of Missouri can be found here.
3. This is an award-winning lesson.
4. Literature Circle guide from Scholastic including a student handout.
5. I also like the idea of assigning a journal-writing exercise during the course of using this book to supplement the teaching of poetry to students. Students would be able to document their own journey of development and understanding in much the same way that Jack did.

Themes/keywords: novels in verse, poetry, dogs, cats

Age/Reading Level: 3 - 6; ATOS - 5; Follett - 5.2

Standards:
(Similar standards for fifth and sixth grades.)
ELA4R2(through eighth grade) The student consistently reads at least twenty-five books or book equivalents (approximately 1,000,000 words) each year. The materials should include traditional and contemporary literature (both fiction and non-fiction) as well as magazines, newspapers, textbooks, and electronic material. Such reading should represent a diverse collection of material from at least three different literary forms and from at least five different writers.
ELA4R1 The student demonstrates comprehension and shows evidence of a
warranted and responsible explanation of a variety of literary and informational
texts.
ELA4W1 The student produces writing that establishes an appropriate organizational structure, sets a context and engages the reader, maintains a coherent focus throughout, and signals a satisfying closure.
ELA4W2 The student demonstrates competence in a variety of genres.

Publisher's Info:
Joanna Cotler Books, New York. 2008

ISBN-13: 978-0-06-143092-3
ISBN-10: 0-06-143092-7


Awards/Review Sources:

Wilson's Children 07/01/09

School Library Journal 10/01/08

Booklist 08/01/08

Horn Book 04/01/09

Kirkus Review 09/01/08


Genre/Dewey: Fiction

Websites:
See websites above for lesson plan ideas.
Interesting information about Walter Dean Myers and Sharon Creech's inspiration for the book can be found here.
In trying to reach Sharon Creech's main web site, I got a notice saying that "this site may harm your computer"; I decided to bypass it and hope they fix whatever is wrong with it.

Notes for Booktalk: I read Sharon Creech's new book, The Unfinished Angel and it was also good, however, I thought these two books were extraordinarily good and therefore decided to review them for the database. I also read her book entitled, "A Fine, Fine School" which I thought was quite disturbing. It was illustrated by Harry Bliss and I wonder if that has anything to do with the strange premise of the book.

Vocabulary:

Comments

Unknown said…
Dear Ilene,
I think you did a very fine job with this particular entry. Reviewing two "companion" books is unprecedented in my experience and most welcome. They really should be read together, shouldn't they. Jack's poetic journey might continue in book #3 - Tolerate That Gerbil.