Living Sunlight : How Plants Bring the Earth to Life


Author: Molly Bang & Penny Chisholm/Molly Bang

Publisher/Place of Publication/Date: Blue Sky Press; New York; 2009

Price: $14.44

ISBN-13: 978-0-545-04422-6
ISBN-10: 0-545-04422-7


Dewey: 572

Reading Level: 2.4/3.4


Brief Description of Content: Illustrations and age appropriate text demonstrate how the sun contributes to the growth of plants and ultimately to the survival of humans and animals.

Personal Review/Selection rationale:
I found this title by using Titlewave and searching for titles published from 2008-2009 with an interest level of K-3, a reading level of under 3.5, in the category of non-fiction. When I examined the record, it happened to be on an order list from last year that we never ended up getting. I am going to add to our order for this year.

Review Sources:

Wilson's Children 07/01/09

School Library Journal 02/01/09

Booklist starred 12/01/08

Book Links starred 03/01/09

New York Times 04/12/09

Horn Book 05/01/09

Kirkus Review 01/15/09

Library Media Connection 05/01/09


Standards:
S1L1 - Students will investigate the characteristics and basic needs of plants and animals.
ELAKR6 The student gains meaning from orally presented text.
ELA1R1 The student demonstrates knowledge of concepts of print.
ELA1R6 The student uses a variety of strategies to understand and gain meaning from grade-level text.
ELA2R2 The student demonstrates the ability to read orally with speed, accuracy, and expression. ELA2R4 The student uses a variety of strategies to gain meaning from grade-level text.
ELA3R1 The student demonstrates the ability to read orally with speed, accuracy, and expression. ELA3R3 The student uses a variety of strategies to gain meaning from grade-level text.

Comments

Unknown said…
I laughed about your comment that you had the title on a consideration list from the previous year. I've discovered a book that sounds wonderful, only to discover that it had been on some old canceled back order list. With the thousands of books published every year we can be forgiven for letting some details slip occasionally, can't we? :-)